Excellence in Research
Undergrad Research at the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is one of the most well-known and respected research intensive post-secondary institutions in the country. Your SU believes that it’s important to not only recognize this status but to provide access to resources and opportunities for undergraduates to get involved.
Some Tips on How You Can Get Involved
- Check out your peer research projects and ask them how they got involved with their project. Meet some of your fellow undergraduates that taken the opportunity to get involved in the research program.
- Look into doing a study abroad research program, studentship, research competition or honour thesis paper.
- Check out our Research Resources and Opportunities page.
- Go to the Vice President [Research] website for more research opportunities at www.ucalgary.ca/vpr/research/undergradresearch.
- Do some background work on the researcher and research you are interested in.
If you’re interested in working with a professor at the University, send them an email. In the email:
- Let them know what you are interested in and how you can help them with their research
- Provide some brief information about yourself
- Attach a resume and cover letter
- Offer to provide them with further information such as transcripts
- Don’t get discouraged! You may have to contact several researchers and go in for a few interviews before obtaining a position.
And when the research is done, check these opportunities to get your work published. And your SU provides an annual Undergraduate Research Symposium in November of each year where you can showcase your work and win research awards. This major event is supported by a range of partners, sponsors and supporters.