Poster & Banner Policy
Posters & Handbills
Advertised events and programs must meet the following criteria:
- Offer a discount or exclusive benefit to students
- Be sponsored by a campus organization or department
- Off-campus Club hosted events must confirm insurance and receive approval from the Club’s office prior to posting
- Non-university related general commercial advertising is prohibited
- Advertising related to pub crawls is prohibited
- Use staples rather than tape or pins
- Do not post stickers or labels
- post only one poster per board
- Do not cover any part of any other poster
- Do not affix posters to glass surfaces, wood, or painted walls
The Students' Union and the University of Calgary reserve the right to charge a fee for removing posters that violate the poster & advertising policy, or for physical damage resulting from improper placement.Within MacEwan Student Centre, handbills may only be distributed from tables booked through MacEwan Conference & Events Centre (see table booking policy & SU exceptions).
- Posters must have an identifiable function date, and cannot be placed more than 21 days prior to this date
- Only one poster per board
- Posters cannot be larger than 11 x 17 inches in size
- For Sale and For Rent items are to be placed on designated bulletin boards only
Banners and Sandwich Boards
Banners may only be posted in designated areas on a first come, first served basis no sooner than three weeks prior to an event, including:
- MacEwan Student Centre railings (stairwells, north and south courtyards)
- MSC banner bar (weekly reservations are made through SU Conference & Events Services 210-9375)
- Banner content must be approved by the SU Director of Communications
Banner posting process:
Use only masking tape to post banners - do not affix to painted surfaces, wood, or glass except for handrails in MSC - post only one banner per location - do not cover any part of any other banner.
Use of sandwich boards is prohibited within MacEwan Student Centre unless pre-approved by the SU Facilities department.
All advertising materials distributed in violation of this policy will be removed and destroyed without prior notice. Third party commercial advertisers are encouraged to purchase display advertising in campus media (On Campus, CJSW, NUTV and the Gauntlet).
The Students’ Union reserves the right to amend this policy without prior notice.